Sunday, November 23, 2008

Its all about Thankfulness, right?

This week we are of all weeks to be thankful. Have you been thankful for your job this week? Do you have a job? So many Americans in the past couple months have been laid off or let go, and just before the holidays find themselves unable to feed their families, or pay the bills - entire industries coming to a halt, or disappearing. Have you given thanks for your industry, your boss, your markeplace? Give thanks! You may have the most boring job, the worst boss, the most horrible industry, but you have one. Give thanks. A lady got up in church and asked for a blessing a few weeks ago, she had been looking for a job for 10 months and you could tell it had really taken a toll on her spirit, she was wanting to work - and asking for prayer for a new job. I think about her as I type this out and I thank God for her asking for prayer, she makes me thankful tonight as I pray and thank God for His provisions - I know as he has provided these past 10 months for her, He will also provide a job.

The news is so depressing. Its all going terribly wrong, the economic news is worse every day, there isn't much to be glad about, but we have so much more than what you can find on CNN or Fox or whatever station you tune in on. Believe me, I cannot be accused of being an optimist; those that know me know that isn't where I tend to be in life. But today one of our traditions is to sing the Psalms as a congregation. Its not pretty, but its beautiful - so we sang this - and I was hit with the beauty of these words:

PS 85: 8-13
I will listen to what the LORD God is saying
for he is speaking peace to his faithful people
and to those who turn their hearts to him.

Truly his salvation is very near to those who fear him,
that his glory may dwell in our land.

Mercy and truth have met together
righteousness and peace have kissed each other.

Truth shall spring up from the earth,
And righteousness shall look down from heaven.

The Lord will indeed grant prosperity,
and our land will yeild its increase.

Righteousness shall go before him
And peace shall be a pathway for his feet.

Okay, so now I want to encourage you to try and sing this Psalm when you maybe aren't feeling thankful this week, or you are feeling afraid or anxious - and you will feel peace, and then probably soon the thankfulness will come. How cool is that line, "mercy and truth have met togethter, righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Man, that just made me so grateful for the Psalms and what we have in the ability to sing them and they bring such peace and beauty into our hearts.

All this to say, I don't know what your week looks like - but I am going to try and stay away from the news,seek peace, thank God for all of His provisions, and enjoy my family. Sing the Psalms and enjoy the Lord in all that you do. Try and read these scriptures this week: Hebrews 11: 8-16 - Our God has an amazing future planned for us.

I am mediating on a list of things I am grateful for this week, top among them, and after God are the following:
Apple Pie
Warm Baths
Turkey
My Children
My Husband
Therapy
My Church
Hope
Gratitude
My Friend Tracie Martin
Prayer
Martini's
Scuba Diving
Girlfriends
Family
Art

And a whole host of friends, by the way this is in no particular order......of course I love my family more than apple pie :) What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment