Monday, October 27, 2008

Don't Worry.....

These were the first two words of the Reverends message yesterday as I sat in the pew, unemployed for the first time in 15 years! She continued, "Don't worry, Moses started out as a basket case too." Everyone in our small Episcopal church let out a collective laugh, they all related to the funny little joke. The point she said, was that the people who launched Moses down the river were "faithful" to put him in the basket, all kidding aside, they were co-laborers in Gods plan.

God too would be faithful throughout Moses's life, in reading Deuteronomy 34:1-8, where Moses dies and doesn't get to enter the promise land. Now, I must admit I never have liked this story. I have always thought Moses got kind of a raw deal here, but believing God is perfect, and His ways are always just, looking at it from a new point of view couldn't hurt; especially in light of my new circumstance.

You see this story has particular meaning to me because this Friday was my last day of work for Worship Leader Magazine. Not something I thought I would be experiencing today or going through, (and I am not equating myself with Moses), but in many ways we all experience mini-deaths this side of heaven, and the loss of a job, the loss of leading, the loss of a dream, these are all mini deaths we must grieve.

But man, I am thrilled that I am going out in many ways like Moses did. I still have my vision - (not 20/20 eyesight) but I still believe, so many wins, the best issues, a great team, wonderful customers, a great track record; a seven year fantastic run......artists and friends that will last a lifetime, a God that never deserted me in the process.

This was my Reverends message; be faithful, and if you don't get to go where you want or where you thought you were supposed to or were entitled to go - don't worry, because God has a different plan for you - and its infinitely better. If you are truly in the will and hand of God; its definitely going to be better! And you know what, that is where I am today, in the middle of the will of a perfect and just God I simply cannot be worried. Its when I get too far from Him that I start leaning on my own understanding that trouble comes my way.

There are always going to be things that happen to us, because of us, and as a result of our choices that are unfair when we are leaders or even just as believers. We will face things that seem unjust, that is for sure. But in the hands of a just God, He will always, always set things right for those who love and worship Him. That is the justice we must always seek. In this crazy world we live in right now where nothing makes any sense, I want to think about Moses, who was faithful, and I want to think about a God who is always faithful as well.

Not sure what leadership crisis you face right now but I do know God is faithful, and wherever you find yourself He is calling you to rest knowing He will take you the rest of the way, He will not let you down.

Blessings friends.

3 comments:

  1. Julie,

    Sorry to see you leave WL Mag. I enjoyed working with you--you were great. I know you'll land on your feet.

    Stay in touch,

    Jon Bogart

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey julie!
    i'm glad to find your blog!
    come and visit me in honduras now!
    love,

    ReplyDelete