Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Stillness in the midst of complete destruction?


Verse 10 and the whole of Psalm 46 seems particularly apropos for this time in our history, and in my life. "Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. "

Earlier, infact right before this beautiful instruction the psalmist describes desolation, destruction, and what seems like a description of the past several weeks of headlines in our world.

"Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall." That is what its been like as I have watched the late night news only to see markets around the world fall as our markets here have fallen. The news seems so much more bleak and depressing. Yet God is with each one of us in such a profound way, in spite of everything we see, feel, fear, experience, and are subjected to in this time. That He instructs us to be still, and know....HE IS.....what a profound way to recenter our own hearts and minds regardless of what we are facing or living through today.

These are scary times, hard times, difficult doesn't begin to explain some of the true suffering that many people are experiencing everyday with their health, finances, jobs, and families. Yet the God who created heaven and earth is with us. That is rocking my world in a good way today.

I have no control over world markets, or even the local market for that matter. But I can control my remembering that God is God, and to truly apprehend the Truth of that reality, being still is the best posture for my heart in the midst of great anxiety.

Not sure what you are facing today, but I pray Psalm 46, that God "would be your refuge and your strength, an ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear even though the earth give way." Can you imagine? No fear in the midst of mountains falling into the sea? In the midst of the waters roaring and mountains quaking. I can't. I am afraid over too many trivial items according to the Psalms, because in the midst of this type of high drama, I can be still and know that God is God, and He is with me.

Have you ever really been that still?

No comments:

Post a Comment